Palladium has had a very successful past year, and we need to take it to the next level. We are hiring for two key roles that will help us do our core work and accomplish our mission:
You will organize regular and special events including public launch parties, private members’ parties, private dinners, book clubs, and retreats. You will be responsible for finding and securing venues, coordinating contractor and volunteer help, interfacing with guests, and maintaining many relationships. Additionally, you will assist members with shipping, community discussion, and other matters. This role also includes a social media and marketing component, in which you will promote our events and more generally our content and membership benefits, and generally keep energy up in the community. We are looking for someone who is:
- Extroverted and friendly. You should genuinely enjoy and be good at throwing a lot of parties, talking to interesting people, and having a lot of friends.
- Organized. This job involves tracking many different relationships and moving parts, and making sure it all comes together and nothing gets dropped.
- Good at social judgment. You will need to pay close attention to making sure everyone is having a good time, and to how individual people are contributing to the vibe or not.
This role will be a blast for someone who likes people and events and wants to be at the center of a community of ambitious people. Being a socialite is underrated right now, and has a lot of long-term leverage. This is a great opportunity.
You will work closely with our editorial team to manage our print production process end to end, including editing written content for print; interfacing with print suppliers, artists, and design contractors; proofreading and detail checking; and some art direction. You will be responsible for getting our high quality print magazine out to subscribers on time quarterly. You will not be responsible for written content selection and production, though as an editor you would have input. We want someone with:
- Great aesthetic taste and vision. You should be able to tell the difference between good art and bad art, select good imagery, and recognize and create concepts that have potential.
- Ability to manage complex work against hard deadlines. The Palladium print editions must come out on time, ideally by good planning, but by hard work if necessary.
- Attention to detail. It’s easy to lose punctuation, spelling, and layout errors in 100 pages of text. You have to make sure there aren’t any.
This is a demanding role, but also very rewarding. Palladium’s beautiful print quarterly pushes the envelope. Other projects will continue to be inspired by the aesthetic and conceptual innovations that come out of our design lab. Come help us design the future.
By default, all roles will work with us full time out of our SF office, though we’re flexible for particular circumstances. We also don’t necessarily expect any one candidate to perfectly fit the above roles. To apply, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with evidence of your ability to fill one of these roles, and something about how you think and approach life.
Palladium has a strong vision for the culture we are building, and are especially looking for the right outlook and personal qualities among those who join us:
- You don’t yield your convictions to social pressure. No society is perfect, so you should have points of disagreement where you pay real social costs because you do not compromise with the world around you.
- You have good discretion. You are able to keep your peace and present your ideas carefully, know who you can trust with your frank opinions, and protect confidential information from friends and VIPs.
- You are ambitious and spirited rather than critical or passive. Your orientation in life is to build your empire, answer big questions, and solve the world’s problems. Mere commentary isn’t enough for you.
- You are not interested in conventional success, but rather success at your own unique goals. What mission or question or life strategy do you know is important but everyone else is ignoring?
- You form your own opinionated worldview, proactively seek knowledge and correct falsehood, and act on your ideas in your whole life. You don’t just read a bunch of books or posts and savor their insights as a hobby, nor parrot the orthodoxy of some school of thought.
- You value high integrity in yourself and others. You do what you say you are going to do, hold others to their commitments, look out for the interests of your friends, and contribute in the spirit not just in the letter. When you fail, you make up for it. You are worthy of trust.
- You have a strong work ethic. You get the job done and do it right. You are proud of your work and strive to continuously get better.
- You invest in your mission. You have faith that you will be able to make it work by doing the right thing and betting on your own agency. If your mission requires you to live differently, you do so. You don’t get held back by need for security or comfort.
- You want to become stronger. You are a lover of wisdom. You are continually educating yourself.
If this describes you, we want to get to know you, even if you don’t fit any particular advertised role. The growth orientation in the right outlook is more important than having achieved any particular bar.
If you are interested, email us at email@example.com with evidence of your ability to contribute to our project, and something about how you think and approach life.